The unit has two smooth endless rotary encoder knobs with push buttons, that can control multiple channels by switching the channel set. It weighs only 80 grams, measuring 5x3x8.5 cm (that’s 1.96×1.18×3.34 in) including knob height. I try to make products that don’t require a user manual, but anyway:
– Plug in via USB A
– Turn to adjust volume or gain
– Quick press to PFL
– Long press (0.5 sec) to toggle trim or fader
– Double press to navigate channels
– Very long press (2 sec) to fire a custom midi shortcut
The enclosure is made from PLA. USB plugs in from the back. Comes with a clip holder
LWH: 5x3x8.5 cm (1.96×1.18×3.34 in) incuding knob height
Please note, when the controller is first plugged in or rebooted, volume changes will initially start from -inf, then be stored locally for normal operation. Trim changes will always start from their relative position stored in the mixer.
What’s changed in mk2?
– Dedicated “gain/volume toggle” button has been replaced in favor of a more simple approach: Long press an encoder to toggle gain/volume mode.
– Front face overall footprint is smaller, but the unit is taller. Will not fit above XL-AES like mk1
– USB C plug moved to the bottom of the unit
– Slightly larger knobs
– Multi color LED with option to adjust brightness
– Comes with an optional quick mounting solution
Was there anything wrong with mk1?
Not at all! Designing and coding these controllers is something I enjoy, and making all these functions (volume, bus, pfl, midi shortcuts, channel switching) work in a meaningful way with just two encoders was a fun challenge that I wanted to take on.
Will this work on my 633/664/688?
No – these fader units are only compatible with Sound Devices 8 series.
What’s the build quality like?
It’s important for me to disclaim what kind of operation this is. I am designing and building these units out of my basement office when I’m not working as a freelance sound recordist. The enclosure and knobs are 3D printed, which means the product will not look and feel like the very expensive sound equipment we’re all used to. I’ve taken some hi-res photos, so please take a closer look and decide for yourself.
Can I use multiple USB controllers at a time?
Yes – you can use a USB hub to plug in several controllers, but if you have a very special use case, please consult me email@example.com and I will help to see if it’s possible.
I have an 833 without +4 plugin, and don’t need those extra channels
You can use this controller for just ch 7-8 (and bus 1+2)
Can I change the channel configuration myself?
No and yes. The unit comes pre-configured to the mixer model you choose, but I can provide you with a another firmware hex file for you to flash (with a piece of Windows software) if you wish.
Why is there no channel page access?
Encoder single press will activate “just” PFL because opening the channel page from a third party controller will activate fat ch mode, which is problematic for this controller to work with the weird set of channels. Tip: There’s already a great 8 series shortcut to access those extra channel pages (* + PFL)
What’s the delivery time?
If the stock status says: “Green smiley face: XX in stock – available on backorder”:
This means I will be able to ship yours within a day or two
If the stock status just says: “Available on backorder”:
That means I am waiting on parts to arrive, and there will be a delay. Email me firstname.lastname@example.org if you need an educated guess on ETA or if it’s a real SOS, I keep some emergency stock
Why is there no USB cable included?
Because there is no point in shipping USB cables around the world, when you already have one lying around. Just make sure it’s a good data USB cable and not a two pin charge cable. If you absolutely must buy a USB cable from me, that’s possible: https://iddqd.dk/shop/vare/usb-c-cable-50-cm/
Can I choose a specific color?
What’s the currency?
Shipping options are shown during checkout
What is up with the tax
– Purchases made from US or outside of EU will have zero tax/VAT added, item price should be well below most customs thresholds ($800 for US) as well.
– EU / UK / NORWAY customers must enter a valid EU VAT number, B2B will have no tax/vat applied.
– For some countries like Norway and United Kingdom, there might be local import custom fees, I am not in control of that, and I don’t know anything about it either.